Sunday, August 24

How do I live without you?

Leann Rimes must have been thinking of me when she wrote that song.

Today I took (probably) my last stroll down the block to the bodegas. I will miss them more than anything else in my life and neighborhood. I'm not including people in this equation, this is purely materialistic.

If you don't know what a bodega is, you are sorely missing out on life. At my favorite one I can buy loose popsicles or freeze pops, cigarettes, random food items (fresh produce, boxes of rice, cooking oil, eggs, etc.), drinks, scratch offs, and -as I learned just now- packing tape. I don't know why I even doubted that the bodega would have anything I ever need or want, that is just blasphemous. I walked in, asked for tape, and was greeted with 3 different options. The cashiers always wish me good luck when I buy lotto tickets, don't whistle at me or say obnoxious man-comments to me, and almost always make me laugh.

The suburbs do not have bodegas. Such a thing would be frowned upon and most likely run out of town in a matter of weeks. I will have to find the closest one to my house and walk there every day. Not even joking. I need this bit of friendliness, humor and soothing of my addictions to get me through the days.

Adios, amigos.

No comments: