Monday, August 4

busy busy busy.

Well thanks to my sister, possibly the best sister in the world, I was able to obtain my medication and I am back on a nice even keel. The past few nights I've gone to bed before midnight and waking up promptly after 8 hours of sleep. Hooray! Today I woke up at 7:15am and saw my Paypal money from selling my shoes went into my bank account (and then went back out to compensate for being overdrawn...anger burns in my heart at Bank of America, but it makes sense). I decided to spend my well earned money on dish soap (I guess since I load the dishes, I buy the soap too?), my own roll of TP, a dunkin sammich/coffee combo and 2 scratch-off tickets. Oh and an Arnold Palmer tall can. Yummo. The lottery tickets paid off with more $ and started a 3-hour vicious cycle of me cashing them in and buying more. I wound up being $4 ahead AND having money to buy ingredients for my porcini sauce (finally!)

To appreciate this, you must know that I haven't been grocery shopping in weeks. I am playing a game with myself that I will only buy new items if they help me consume items I already have (i.e. butter for frozen bagels), and I have had these dried porcini mushrooms for at least 3 months waiting to be loved and used. I bought a package to make arancini, and only needed a few of them. So today I set to work making my sauce:

-soak dried porcini mushrooms in hot water
-sautée 1+ cloves of garlic (I hate garlic, so I only used the tiniest bit) on some olive oil
-add mushrooms and water. I strained the mushrooms out and chopped them first, but you don't have to.
-add spices as you want. I like white pepper, salt, chix bullion cubes, and a bit of celery seed. Oh and a tiny bit of garlic powder to compensate for my lack of love for the garlic cloves.
-let this simmer for 5 minutes or so, until you can see that the mushrooms have cooked down a bit. Now here is where you can do what you prefer...I strained my sauce so I only had the liquid and tossed the mushroom/garlic chopped bits. But if you don't mind chunks in your sauce, you can leave it as is.
-Add some cream to this sauce, and simmer until it thickens. Again, use whatever cream you like, I prefer light cream because it doesn't coat your tongue.
-Don't forget to keep tasting and adjusting as you see fit!
-Finally, serve over some form of pasta.

Yum yum yum. And Jess, don't make this unless you have a death wish.


I also made some sun tea today, but if you don't know how to make that, you are on your own. Dummy.

No comments: