Tuesday, June 9

this little light of mine.

A few weeks ago (I believe it was Memorial Day weekend), Dan and I decided to plant a bunch of seeds. We set up dixie cups with some potting soil and planted the following:

-tomatoes
-carrots
-spinach
-dill
-rosemary
-dahlias
-sunflowers

We had 2 extra cups, so we did 2 mystery batches with leftovers.

After a week and a nice long sunny weekend with my dad tending to the little goobers, they were coming along nicely:

That was May 31.

Today I have success in 7 of the 9 cups! I tossed the 2 duds - the seeds were purchased over a year ago and kept in less-than-ideal conditions, so I was pleased with having ANY results, let alone 7 cups of plant shoots.

I have been able to determine by sniffing that 2 of the plants are tomato seedlings, and the leaves of another 2 cups make me think they are either dill or carrots. I can't tell yet, so I may have to wait another few days for a more fragrant growth spurt. The other 3 are mysteries, I am suspecting spinach and rosemary, I think the sunflowers and dahlias were quitters.

Now comes the emotional part - I have to get rid of some of these plants that I grew from tiny little nothings because I just don't have the room for them. Tonight I will try to swap them out into bigger pots and save as many as possible and give them enough light and sun and love.

And to keep them out of the hands of Floof. Rotten plant-eating jerk.

No comments: